Comox Valley Walk of Achievement
Recognizing Comox Valley residents who have made significant
and lasting contributions in their professional or personal lives.
The Comox Valley Walk of Achievement Committee first met May 15, 2006. In attendance were Jackie Green, David Durrant, Erik Ericksson and Neil Havers. The Walk of Achievement was officially launched December, 2006 with the induction of Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Broadcaster Red Robinson, who is originally from Fanny Bay.
The purpose of the Walk of Achievement is threefold:
• To recognize outstanding achievement of individuals from the Comox Valley who have excelled in their field of endeavour.
• To inspire Comox Valley youth to believe in themselves and to explore the limitless possibilities the world has to offer.
• To instill a sense of pride throughout the Comox Valley that we are a community that nurtures achievement.
The Walk of Achievement Committee solicits nominations from residents of the Comox Valley annually. Once an individual is selected an induction ceremony takes place in the Sid Williams Theatre (at a time that is convenient for the Inductee), followed by the unveiling of a permanent marble plaque imbedded in the sidewalk of Courtenay’s Fifth Street. This is conducted in cooperation of the City of Courtenay and Downtown Courtenay’s Business Improvement Association.
Year after year we are so impressed with the nominations that come our way. The Comox Valley nurtures incredibly talented individuals who make their mark on the world in the fields of science, entertainment, writing, politics and more.” says Committee member, Dave Durrant.
"The Walk of Achievement is a unique way of recognizing Comox Valley residents who have made significant and lasting contributions in their professional or personal lives,” says committee member, Neil Havers.
“The strength of this initiative is that it inspires our youth to excel in their life journey while paying recognition to the gifted individuals we have inducted.” Havers added.
Inductees to the Comox Valley Walk of Achievement include:
• Red Robinson – Broadcaster, Rock & Roll Hall of Famer (Inducted December, 2006)
• Dr. Fred Leung – Biochemist (Inducted November 30, 2007)
• Dr. Roberts A. Smith - Scientist (Inducted October 17, 2008)
• The Honourable Stan Hagen – BC Cabinet Minister (Inducted posthumously August 22, 2009)
• Comox Valley Olympians (Inducted February 6, 2010)
• Jack Hodgins - Author (Inducted July 8, 2011)
• Kim Cattrall – Actor (May 19, 2012)
• The Honourable Iona Campagnolo – Lieutenant Governor of BC (Inducted November 30, 2012)
• Brian Howes – Producer & Songwriter (Inducted November 30, 2013)
• Loiuse Carvalho – International Lawyer (Inducted December 21, 2014)
• Stocky Edwards - Canadian Fighter Ace (Inducted December 3, 2015)
• Jock A. Finlayson - Economist (Inducted November 25, 2017)
• Comox Valley Musicians - Inducted August 6, 2018
Letters of Nomination
If you would like to nominate someone, simply send us a letter including a bio and outline of the distinction that has been achieved by the individual.
Mail: Comox Valley Walk of Achievement 391 11th Street, Courtenay, BC V9N 1S4
We'd like to acknowledge the Comox Valley Echo (Judy Hagen, Hunt For History) and the Comox Valley Record for their research and articles about these Comox Valley Walk of Achievement Honourees.
Special thanks to Bruce McPhee whose support enabled us to create this website and the Honouree signage along Fifth Street in Courtenay, BC.